Prometheus Real Estate Group - Prometheus & Marlowe Apts. refused to reduce our rent for 3 weeks of repairs
When we moved into a new apartment, over a YEAR ago, we complained that every time we did laundry, the water in our washing machine smelled like a sewer. If that wasn't bad enough, when the washing machine drained, the water emptied into our kitchen sink. They sent a maintenance man to snake our drain. He told us everything was fine and that our washing machine was probably "dirty." We tried bleach, baking soda and a variety of laundry products designed to clean a dirty washing machine. Nothing worked.
We kept complaining and they kept sending a maintenance man to snake our sink. Each time we got the same results.
Recently, a neighbor had to have their pipes fixed, so our apartment manager finally sent a "plumber" to look at our pipes. The Manager told us we had a big problem and not to use our washing machine or the kitchen sink. Whether this was due to possible health risks or whether she was worried about a pipe bursting, we're not sure.
We had to move furniture in our living room and one of the bedrooms. The plumbers dug a 10' "trench" in our living room, a 2'x2' trench in front of AND beneath our washing machine. They removed the bathtub, toilet, counter and sink along with part of the wall and the floor in one of our bathrooms. They also dug a 10' "trench" in the bedroom next to the bathroom.
They covered the trenches with wooden planks at night so we wouldn't fall into the holes. There was dust everywhere and we had a six foot long, two and a half foot tall pile of dirt in our living room. After a couple of days, they moved the pile of dirt outside by our front door.
The Apartment Manager said, "they would pay for us to stay at a motel while the repairs were being made." We priced local motels and they ranged from $125-$245 per night. We decided it would be a huge hassle to stay at a hotel at night and have to come back every day to get food, clothes etc. so we told them, "we would just stay in our apartment." We had no idea the repairs would take so long.
When rent came due, we asked them to reduce our rent for the time the repairs were being made. We figured that we SAVED them $2325-$5145 by NOT staying at a motel. (Both of those figures are MORE than our monthly rent.)
They asked us to submit something to them in writing.
We thought it would be fair to deduct our rent($65/day)for the amount of time it takes to finish the repairs. We also asked that they pay to have our apartment cleaned. Fifteen days in October comes out to $975. We wrote our request and dropped it off at the Apartment managers office.
They replied, that since we decided not to go to a motel we weren't entitled to any reduction in our rent. They didn't even address cleaning our apartment.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Review category
- Real Estate
You May Also Like
- "I received my written notice of my lease expiration and pending rent increase when and if I renew my lease in October. My current base rent is $1,454.00..."
- "I have only lived at Sandpiper for a short period of time however my roommate has lived there a little longer and since our lease isn't up for a few..."
- "I see you are in Houston. I am a Derksen dealer in TX and what I would tell you is that if you are basing your decision on the..."
- "On 01/17/15 I turned in 6 empty Mac containers in exchange for 2 products. I asked for particular colors however when I returned home I realized that the woman made..."
- "I purchased my PetPlan dog plan on June 9, 2009, pre-paid for quarterly coverage and was charged after the 24 hour hold on June 10, 2009. A few weeks later..."
- "Okay im in the middle of a dispute with the yunique company! I place my order on their Black Monday special sale and it is May 26th 2016 and I..."
- "Seeing the price I didn't expect great quality but something decent. What I have received was so horrendous that put me off online shopping. The photos are for 2 dresses..."
- "My local HEB every time i buy fruit it has a day or 2 shelf life other than bananas. This past Sunday I went grocery shopping purchased some steak meat...."
- "This *** company is a scam. They take your *** money and make you jump through hoops to get it back. I put $280 on a reloadit card to send someone..."